- Chinese Society (Mainland China and Taiwan)
- Global Civil Society
- NGOs (Nongovernmental Organizations)
- Organizational Culture
- Social and Political Theory
Recent and Ongoing Major Projects
- A long-term study of the internal cultures of grassroots NGOs in China and the development of democratic practices (Ongoing)
- A multi-year, comprehensive study of INGOs in China, funded by a US$131,500 grant from the Hong Kong Research Grants Council.
- A study of advocacy strategies employed by Chinese grassroots environmental organisations, co-authored with Jingyun Dai. (Published in The China Journal.)
- A study of young Chinese volunteers' experience in bottom-up voluntary associations. Published in China Information.
- A survey of over 200 Chinese private foundations, with colleagues at the Center on Philanthropy at Sun Yat-sen University. (Published in The China Quarterly.)
- A comprehensive study of 263 grassroots NGOs in Yunnan, Beijing, and Guangdong. (Published in The China Journal.)
- A study of US foundations and their grantmaking practices in China. (Published in the Journal of Civil Society.)
- A study of relations between government and grassroots NGOs in China. (Published in The American Journal of Sociology.)
- A study of donor-driven ‘capacity-building’ training programs and their influence on Chinese civil society. (Published in The China Journal.)
Photo of Lake Como, Italy (c) 2015 Anthony J. Spires