Publications in Progress
- A study of China's Charity Law of 2016 and its Implications for civil society development - Article under Review
- A long-term study of Chinese civil society and democratic culture – Book Manuscript in Preparation
- “A Tale of Two Laws: How Globalization Matters for Civil Society in an Authoritarian State” – Article in Preparation
- “Chinese Youth and Alternative Narratives of Volunteering” – Published in China Information
- Dai, Jingyun and Anthony J. Spires. 2018. “Advocacy in an Authoritarian State: How Grassroots Environmental NGOs Influence Local Governments in China.” The China Journal, no. 79, pp. 62–83.
- Spires, Anthony J. 2018. “China.” Pp. 49–65 in Routledge Handbook of Civil Society in Asia, edited by Akihiro Ogawa. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Lai, Weijun, Jiangang Zhu, Lin Tao, and Anthony J. Spires. 2015. “Bounded by the State: Government Priorities and the Development of Private Philanthropic Foundations in China,” The China Quarterly, vol. 224, pp. 1083-1092.
- Spires, Anthony J. 2015. Book Review of Jennifer Ryan, Lincoln C. Chen, and Tony Saich (eds.), “Philanthropy for Health in China,” The China Quarterly, vol. 222, pp. 567-569.
- Spires, Anthony J., Lin Tao, and Kin-man Chan. 2014. “Societal Support for China’s Grassroots NGOs: Evidence from Yunnan, Guangdong, and Beijing.” The China Journal, no. 71, pp. 65-90.
- Spires, Anthony J. 2014. Book Review of Jie Chen, “Transnational Civil Society in China: Intrusion and Impact,” The China Journal, no. 71, pp. 229-231.
- Spires, Anthony J. 2012. “Lessons from Abroad: Foreign Influences on China’s Emerging Civil Society.” The China Journal, no. 68, pp. 125-146.
- Spires, Anthony J. 2011. “Contingent Symbiosis and Civil Society in an Authoritarian State: Understanding the Survival of China’s Grassroots NGOs.” American Journal of Sociology, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 1-45.
- Spires, Anthony J. 2011. “Organizational Homophily in International Grantmaking: US-Based Foundations and their Grantees in China.” Journal of Civil Society, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 305-331.
- Spires, Anthony J. 2011. Book Review of Jonathan Unger (ed.), “Associations and the Chinese State: Contested Spaces,” China Perspectives.
- Erni, John N. and Anthony Spires. 2005. “The Formation of a Queer-imagined Community in Post-Martial Law Taiwan.” Pp. 225-252 in John Erni and Chua Siew Keng (eds.), Asian Media Studies: Politics of Subjectivities. Malden, Mass.: Blackwell Publishers.
- Erni, John Nguyet and Anthony J. Spires. 2001. “Glossy Subjects: G&L Magazine and ‘Tongzhi’ Cultural Visibility in Taiwan.” Sexualities, 4(1): 25-49.
Photo of Temple in Kunming, Yunnan (c) 2015 Anthony J. Spires